Monday, March 5, 2012

Tip #5: Buy in Bulk (but not always)

This is pretty simple- Buy in bulk, but not always! Most of the time, if you buy in bulk, it's cheaper. However, don't be lazy and make assumptions! Walmart and most stores makes this really easy as they post the "price per ounces" for you. Compare prices, and then buy the cheaper per ounce item.

Don't buy in bulk when:

1. It costs more (rarely happens, but still check)

2. You won't be able to finish the item before it spoils. Since it's just Michael and me, I am somewhat limited to what I buy. If something is going to go bad, and you'll end up throwing it away, obviously don't buy it! I wanted sour cream at Sam's Club last time I went but it was like a gallon of sour cream. Yuck. No thanks!

I buy a lot of things in bulk, then when I get home I wrap them in smaller packages and freeze them.

For example, I buy sausage in bulk. When I get home from the store I wrap 2 links together and freeze them. With chicken breasts, I freeze each breast individually because they are really big and we usually just make one. If you try and freeze the whole thing, it's really difficult to try and break off one chicken breast, or 2 sausage links.

Another thing I buy in bulk is cheese. I'm starting to grate it first, then freeze it in baggies. Or, I make some baggies with sliced cheese. Cheese is great to freeze, but it is more crumbly after it defrosts so it's easier to grate, cut, or do whatever with it while it's fresh and then freeze it.

I used to avoid buying a lot of things in bulk because I hated spending more up front. The goal is not to buy the cheapest item, but the cheapest item per ounce. Don't be intimidated by paying more, it will last longer and save you money long term!



No comments:

Post a Comment