Saturday, February 25, 2012

Welcome to Frugal Living!

Before I explain the reason for this blog, let me start here:

I have always been one to love a good deal. I love the satisfaction of saving money and I enjoy the game of being frugal. Yes, the game. Call me crazy, but living frugally can be fun. Challenging? Yes, but that doesn't have to take away the fun.

Let me cut to the chase- starting in December, Michael & I have to start paying off his law school loans. After the initial shock (which really shouldn't have been a shock at all), we put our game faces on, ordered some books/materials from Dave Ramsey, and buckled down. 

I won't get into the nitty-gritty of our "action plan", but in general the game plan is to be as frugal as possible and throw all of our money at our debt (we're on baby step #2). I love researching cheaper ways to do things and finding tips on how to save money. Whether it means something as little as saving $10 over the span of a year, or cutting out something that could cost us thousands, every little item helps.

After many conversations with friends, I realize that most people my age and beyond are in similar situations. Seems like everyone is trying to live life cheaper and save money, but sometimes it gets frustrating when you don't know how to do that.

My goal: Post tips and ideas for saving money. This could cover a variety of things from food, recipes, cleaning, budgeting, etc. This will help keep me motivated and hold me accountable to continue exploring new ways to save, and will help give you ideas on practical things you can do. I AM NOT AN EXPERT. Please give me feedback, such as, "Umm Rachel, that idea will actually end up costing you a billion dollars a year.." or "Actually, it's cheaper if you..." Feel free to share your suggestions. I want to collect as many ideas as possible so I can come back to this blog and scroll through ideas when I'm feeling unmotivated.

Well, that's it! This will hopefully be the longest post I'll ever write. I will try and keep the rest short and sweet!

I'll leave you with a quote we love from Dave Ramsey, "Live like no one else now, so you can live like no one else later!" 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I'm pumped for this already. I need to keep paying off my loans.

    ReplyDelete